Steps for PCI DSS Gap Analysis
Complying with Standards drawn by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council can be complicated and time-consuming. But, with a PCI DSS Gap Analysis, the process becomes a lot easier, streamlined, and less exhaustive. PCI Gap Analysis is the first step towards the Compliance process. The assessment provides details on your current security posture against what is expected and needs to be achieved by the organization. Most organizations are not sure of how a PCI DSS Gap Analysis process works, so in this article, we look at the steps involved in PCI Gap Analysis that you need to know. But, let us first understand the concept of Gap Analysis.
What is Gap Analysis?
A PCI DSS Gap Analysis is usually the first step performed in the PCI Compliance process. This is an assessment that helps merchants understand their Compliance status and prepares them for the on-site PCI assessments to achieve Compliance. PCI Gap Analysis is performed by an assessor who maps the critical information processes and technical infrastructure to determine the PCI controls that are required to be implemented.
Purpose of Gap Analysis:
- Identify deficient controls that could potentially cause an audit failure.
- Determine effective ways to implement necessary controls to meet PCI obligations.
- Assess the readiness for the upcoming PCI audit.
- Prevent consequences of audit failure for organizations.
Benefits of a PCI DSS gap analysis:
Gap Analysis is an essential part of the PCI Compliance process. Here is how the assessment helps merchants ease their efforts of Compliance.
- Determines the scope for PCI DSS Compliance.
- Determines the security posture of your PCI environment.
- Identifies areas that require immediate attention and prioritizes them accordingly.
- Eases the process of a PCI DSS Compliance Program.
- Draws out your organization’s ability to comply with evolving standards.
After the assessment, the assessor provides (Read more...)
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from The State of Security authored by Tripwire Guest Authors. Read the original post at: https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/regulatory-compliance/steps-for-pci-dss-gap-analysis/