- Personal Computers refers to any computer that is meant to be used by a single person only.
- Personal Computers are also called Microcomputers as they are the smallest computers for personal use.
- The term PC is most commonly used to refer to a Desktop Computer.
Types of Personal Computers
The seven main types of Personal Computers are:
- Desktop Computers
- Laptop Computers
- Notebook Computers
- Tablet Computers
- Handheld Computers
- Smartphone Computers
- The most common type of Personal Computer
- Commonly used in workplaces, schools and homes.
- Owing to their large size they are difficult to carry around.
- Is designed to make it sit on a table or desk that’s why it’s called a Desktop Computer
- Desktop Computer performs a multitude of tasks ranging from communication, photo editing, playing games, watching videos and much more.
- The main component of a Desktop Computer is the System Unit.
- System Unit is the case that houses critical parts of desktop PC such as processing and storage devices.
- System Units generally available in two models
- Originally Oriented System Unit
- Vertically oriented system Unit also called as tower model.
- A desktop computer but with more powerful processing additional memory and graphics handling capabilities than a standard desktop PC and thus more speedy.
- Optimized for scientists, engineers, animators, who need a system with greater average speed and power to perform sophisticated tasks such as 3D graphics and game development.
- People normally place these devices on their laps, hence the name laptop computer.
- Those who require the power of full-size desktop computers can avail themselves of laptop computers because they are microcomputers in the true sense.
- Owing to their small size and portability, laptops belong to the category of mobile computers.
- Mobile computers are easy to carry around because of their small size.
- Some laptop systems are designed to be plugged into a docking station, including a full-size keyboard and mouse or other devices.
- Docking stations also provide additional ports that enable the laptop to be connected to different devices or a network in the same manner as a desktop computer.
- Notebook computers are the same as laptop computers exact for they are smaller and lighter than laptops.
- Tablet PCs offer all the functionality of notebook PC, but they are lighter and can accept input from a special pen called a stylus or a digital pen that is used to tap or write directly on the screen.
- Many tablet PCs also have a built-in microphone and special software that accepts input from the user’s voice
- Tablet PCs use tailored versions of stander software and can even be plugged into the network.
- It may be possible to convert a few models to a keyboard as well as a full-fledged monitor.
- In some models a tablet PC may be converted into a notebook PC by using a book cover keyboard.
- Computers are small enough to fit in your hand or placed in your pocket.
- Most common example is the personal Digital Assistant (PDA) which is nothing more in size than a small appointment book.
- PDAs are used for notes taking maintaining a list of telephone numbers and addresses and keeping oneself informed of important dates and agenda items.
- May be synchronized with a Desktop Computer to Exchange Data.
- Some PDAs allow users to write on the screen using a pen.
- Provide features such as access to the internet using a wireless connection, global positioning systems, music players and digital cameras and can include a cell phone.
- Some PDAs allow voice input.
- smartphones are hybrid of PDAA and cellular phones.
- Smartphones offer sophisticated features not normally present in cellphones. That’s why they are referred to as smartphones.
- These advanced features could be access to web and email, high-resolution digital cameras, music players as well as the ability to install different mobile apps.
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from Hackernet.IN authored by Anonymous. Read the original post at: https://hackernet.in/personal-computers-types-of-computers/