Containers bring many benefits to DevOps teams along with a number of security concerns. This post brings you details about 50 Docker training resources that are designed to train beginner, intermediate, and advanced practitioners on current knowledge about Docker.
Note: On Thursday, September 27, we’ll be holding our Builders of Tomorrow event, featuring industry experts who will be speaking about critical container security issues and best practices (see details below). We hope to see you there!
Builders of Tomorrow | September 27 | LEGOLAND | Somerville, MA
Join us at Builders of Tomorrow — a container security meetup that will feature thought provoking sessions, expert panels, and hands-on build workshops with industry leaders and hands-on practitioners alike.
- Where: LEGOLAND Discovery Center Boston: 598 Assembly Row, 2nd Floor, Somerville, MA
- When: Thurs, September 27, 2018, 5:00 – 9:00 p.m. EDT
- Registration: If you haven’t registered already, reserve your tickets now.
- Speakers, including these container security leaders:
- Todd Morneau, Director of Product at Threat Stack
- Jay Vyas, core contributor to Kubernetes and technologist at Black Duck
- Hemant Kapoor, Global Head of SRE at Wayfair
- Kevin Landt, Director of Product Management, OpsGenie
- Ryan Wallner, Technical Manager Portworx
- Access to all LEGOLAND exhibits/attractions including:
- Build Center
- Lego Themed Escape Room
- Roller Coaster
- Star Wars Episode 2 Exhibit
- Full Catered Beer, Wine, and Food
Containers can be a big help in shipping and deploying your application where it’s needed. But using them adds a layer of complexity to your architecture and can be painful to implement and operate. The introduction of Docker to the IT community transformed the way many departments handled this type of work.
It’s one of the fastest-growing tools out there. Of course, Docker can’t fix all your problems in the cloud, but if you’re tired of the limitations of using virtual machines and want to give containers a try, you’d benefit from taking a course or even going through a basic walk-through showing you some best practices. That’s why we’ve come up with this list of 50 useful Docker tutorials for people from all walks of the IT life. You’ll find something here for Java developers, .Net lovers, and other languages. We’ve also got plenty for those not wed to any programming ideology who want to gain a better understanding of Docker.
Of course, containerized environments mean a different security perspective, as well. If you’re ready to move to Docker, Threat Stack’s Docker integration helps you make smarter security decisions while streamlining your data consumption. And did you know that Threat Stack can now be deployed as a container? That means DevOps can now build security right into their Docker deployment processes. But before you build and deploy, check out these helpful Docker tutorials to ensure you’re at the top of your game.
Beginner Level Docker Tutorials
1. Docker For Beginners
This straightforward Docker web tutorial takes you through everything from the definition of a container to working with Docker images and Docker files. It’s a great jumping-off point for those looking to get an idea of what this tool can do for them.
- Shows you how to work with static websites
- Teaches you command-line instructions
- Gives you a good foundation to move onto more advanced Docker features
2. Docker Tutorial: Getting Going From Scratch
Stackify’s web tutorial walks you through Docker from the perspective of a developer. It gives you a thorough understanding of how containers work and when to apply different capabilities.
- Takes you through Docker installation
- Looks at details of how Docker functions
- Shows you how to create customized images
3. Getting Started With Docker, The Step By Step Tutorial
This YouTube video tutorial from Mark Takacs takes the time to go through the different problems Docker was built to solve. It then shows you how to execute commands and gives a big-picture view of the architecture. Check out the writeup accompanying the tutorial on Mark’s website here.
- Shows you how to work with config files
- Takes you through Docker compose
- Goes through the construction of Docker
4. Docker Inside Out
Duckademy’s video Docker course takes you through practical applications of Docker and how you’d use it in your day-to-day work. It costs $25.00 and receives periodic updates from instructors.
- Dives into more advanced topics after showing you how to install and use the tool
- Takes you through Docker networking
- Goes through installing Docker on CentOS
5. A Fast and Easy Docker Tutorial For Beginners
This video series from freeCodeCamp takes the time to show Mac users how to install the application. From there they take you through everything from command instructions to debugging Docker builds.
- Covers key Docker concepts
- Shows you how to inspect your images properly
- Provides you with a solid learning foundation
6. Getting Started with Docker: Simplifying DevOps
Toptal’s tutorial helps developers and software engineers understand Docker and how it can be used to manage enterprise applications. It then gives some good hands-on experience using Docker.
- Covers the differences between containers and VMs
- Goes over the Docker architecture
- Shows how Docker works with a Java application
7. Learn Docker & Containers using Interactive Browser-Based Scenarios
Katacoda’s practical scenario modules provide the opportunity to solve real-world problems without needing to download or configure anything on your machine. You only need to create a free account to get started.
- Takes you through various Docker issues you’d come across day to day
- Shows you how to deploy Docker with Node.js
- Goes over load balancing with NGINX
8. Docker Tutorial: Play with Containers (Simple Examples)
Like Geeks provides you with basic examples allowing you to get a feel for Docker and how you might apply it to your development work. They help you understand how it can smooth out your deployment efforts.
- Goes over how Docker can complement your use of machines
- Shows you how to create and run containers
- Helps you through simple Docker scenarios
9. Docker Fundamentals + Enterprise Operations Course Bundle
Docker offers this on-site training package to companies looking to introduce Docker to their organization. These courses go through everything from the fundamentals of Docker to deployments using either the Swarm or Kubernetes orchestrator.
- Allows your IT teams to learn at the same pace
- Gets everyone up to speed over the course of four days
- Helps you instill Docker best practices from the beginning
10. Docker Essentials and Administration Training
Zeolearn allows you to learn the intricacies of using Docker for enterprise applications. This instructor-led course also trains your team on various administrative functions and provides you with a certification on completion.
- Delivers over 16 hours of instruction
- Great for system administrators, web developers, or any other IT professional
- Can be done online, in a classroom, with a team, or one-on-one
11. Docker Training — Tekslate
Tekslate’s online Docker course helps you understand the purpose of Docker and the best way to apply it to your workflow. You qualify for the Docker certification on completion of the course.
- Provides training in countries around the world including the US, India, and the UK
- Guides you through each section with the help of an instructor
- Allows you to go back and catch recorded sessions if you miss a class
12. Docker Fundamentals
This live hands-on class helps developers, operations managers, and anyone else involved in IT to learn about Docker. You can also attend online if you don’t live near one of the classes provided by ONLC Training Centers.
- Takes you through the foundations of Docker
- Provides lots of training scenarios to work through
- Shows you how to create Swarms
13. Play With Docker Classroom
Dive right into a variety of labs and tutorials designed for users at every level. New users can get training on how to user Docker, while more experienced professionals can get help with more advanced features.
- Learn networking, security, and orchestration
- Get products ready for production
- Provides introductions suited to your IT background
14. Docker – Container Tutorials
Gain a solid working knowledge of both Docker and Kubernetes by following this online tutorial. It touches on different topics including security and using Docker for machine learning.
- Goes into Docker networking
- Takes you through using Docker Compose
- Shows you how to install and use Kubernetes
15. Docker Technologies for DevOps and Developers
This online video course by Level Up goes through the history of Docker and what it’s done for the IT industry. It’s a good place to start if you want clarity on the different moving pieces and how they all fit together.
- Explains how Docker relates to VMs
- Goes through deployment of Docker containers
- Covers using Docker for building Microservice applications
16. Docker Tutorial for Java Developers
This online web course from Java Code Geeks focuses on guiding Java developers through the ways they can use Docker for their projects. The course goes over what it does and how to get started from the Java perspective.
- Shows you how to develop Docker applications
- Goes through testing your applications with Docker
- Covers Docker in tandem with continuous integration
17. Docker on Windows 10 Beginner’s Guide
Want to learn how to work with Docker on a machine with the Windows 10 OS? This web tutorial from Business News Daily guides you through installing it on your computer.
- Takes you through all the required steps
- Guides you through building a container
- Advises you on what pitfalls to watch out for
18. Docker Tutorial For Beginners
These video tutorials give you a practical introduction into the world of Docker. They also covers different pain points you might encounter as you learn to use the technology. You’ll be required to install Docker CE and Docker Compose.
- Goes over using Docker with MySQL and PHP
- Provides coverage of using Docker Compose
- Talks about using Docker with WordPress
19. Docker for the Absolute Beginner – Hands On – DevOps
This basic Udemy course is great for those with little to no exposure to Docker. You’ll learn how to create Docker images with Docker files through lots of hands-on exercises.
- Goes over using Docker Commands
- Shows you how to perform different run operations
- Gets into Docker Networking
Intermediate Level Docker Tutorials
20. GL340: DOCKER
This instructor-led Docker course makes sure students in the class start at the same level of learning to ensure that everyone comes along at the same pace. It covers all the cores aspects of Docker necessary for successful implementation. This course requires you to be proficient with the Linux CSI and Linux system administration.
- Shows you how to create and manage containers
- Takes you through using Docker volumes to control persistent data
- Walks you through using Docker and Git along with an integration server to automate application testing
21. Hello Microservice Deployment Part 1: Docker
Part 1 of this series provided by Codementor Community covers the concept of Microservices and using Docker to manage them. You can move on to the other courses once you’ve completed this portion. You’ll need to be familiar with Git and Python.
- Gives you an introduction to two new technologies
- Takes you through the creation of an API using Python and Git
- Shows you how to run it using Docker
22. What is Docker and How to Use it With Python (Tutorial)
Python lovers will appreciate this introduction to the Docker technology. It shows you how to use it in combination with Nginx and Redis for application management. You’ll need to be familiar with all these technologies before proceeding with this online tutorial from Djangostars.
- Goes through reasons for using Docker
- Helps you understand how it helps with development
- Shows you different ways to use it with Python applications
23. Tutorials Point
Anyone familiar with Windows or Linux should be able to follow along with this detailed online web course. It teaches you Docker from the perspective of using it as a container service.
- Helps you install Docker on your local machine
- Covers topics like Hub, building files, and working with public repositories
- Also shows you how it works with different technologies like Node.js and MongoDB
24. Docker Deep Dive
This course from Pluralsight prepares you for the Docker Certified Associate exam. It covers everything you need to know to become confident with using Docker.
- Takes you through the internal workings of Docker
- Gets into working with Kernels
- Shows you how the Docker Engine works
25. Dockerfile Tutorial by Example – Basics and Best Practices 
Try reading through this online web tutorial if you’re looking to expand on your current rudimentary knowledge of Docker. It goes through using a Dockerfile in the creation of a custom Docker image.
- Tells you when you should use a Dockerfile
- Walks you through an example of a Dockerfile
- Goes through image layering
26. Docker Mastery: The Complete Toolset From a Docker Captain
Move beyond the basics by signing up for this Instructor-led course from Udemy. Gain some experience working in more advanced Docker topics to help you in your application development and deployments.
- Requires working knowledge of Linux basics
- Covers using containers and Images
- Goes over using Swarms
27. Docker Certified Associate Prep Course
Linux Academy’s Docker instructional video course covers material present in each section of the certification exam. You also receive flashcards based on the material to assist in your study efforts.
- Goes over every aspect of Docker
- Provides quizzes to test your knowledge
- Lets you take a practice exam at the end of the course
28. Docker for .NET Developers with Visual Studio
This video course from Lynda.com guides .Net Developers in using Docker as part of their workflow. They learn how to streamline their work and smooth out the development process.
- Takes you through building an entire project
- Goes through using Docker Compose
- Walks you through pushing images to Docker Hub
29. Docker Containerization Boot Camp
Learning Tree International created this live online course for IT enthusiasts looking to incorporate containers within their software development lifecycle. All the material comes from real-world use cases to help you understand practical applications of Docker.
- Requires knowledge of Linux, networking, and shell scripting
- Starts with the basics and moves on to more complex topics
- Costs $2,495.00 for three days of instruction
30. Painless Docker
Those looking for additional assistance as they learn Docker can obtain it by purchasing one of the video course packages provided by Painless Docker. You can get the basic package for $100 or receive personal one-on-one instruction by calling and asking for a custom quote.
- Provides you with lifetime access to courses you purchase
- Site offers periodic discounts on course packages
- Takes you through the entire Docker architecture
31. Docker Training
You’ll need a solid understanding of Linux and AWS Services and Infrastructure before taking on this course. Learntek’s $500.00 course provides you with 30 hours of live online training.
- Available in the US and India
- Starts at containers and goes through UCP deployment
- Perfect for those looking to use Docker in an enterprise environment
32. Deploying ASP.NET Core Applications Using Docker Containers
Steve Lasker and Glenn Condron take you through different ways to use Docker with ASP.NET applications. It’s great for .Net developers still trying to figure out whether Docker’s the right tool for them.
- Goes over the container workflow
- Covers using Visual Studio as an in-container environment you can use to target Docker Containers
- Takes you through Azure Container Service
33. Tutorial – Building a Docker Container for Batch Applications
This BMC Software web tutorial takes you through using Docker with Control-M services. You’ll need to have a solid understanding of that technology before you get started.
- Provides you with a container at the start
- Goes through building a container image and running a container instance
- Takes you all the way through to the conclusion of a sample project
34. Demystifying Docker for Data Scientists – A Docker Tutorial for Your Deep Learning Projects
Data scientists curious about incorporating Docker into their workflows will enjoy going through this online web tutorial. You’ll gain a solid understanding of the practical applications of Docker for developing deep learning projects.
- Shows you how Docker can help you share projects with others on your team
- Walks you through using Docker with Jupyter Notebook
- Takes you through how to work with different frameworks
35. Django Development with Docker – A Step by Step Guide
Devartis’s blog takes you through tackling the issue of working with Docker in a constantly environment. It then shows you different ways to resolve a problem and gain the full benefits provided by Docker.
- Demonstrates installing Python within a container
- Shows you how to create containers with networks
- Takes you through each step in the configuration process
36. Docker + Windows + WordPress + MySQL + PHPMyAdmin = Nirvana
This web tutorial from Jammer.biz shows you the process the author went through to come up with a viable way to user Docker to create a WordPress environment with persisted data. He describes using different visualization tools to assist you in your work.
- Takes a boots on the ground approach to guiding you
- Shares the issues you’ll face with implementation
- Goes over the different settings in Docker
37. A Quick Guide to Local WordPress Development Using Docker
Here’s another guide intended to help WordPress developers use Docker as part of their process. This online web guide from ThemeIsle walks you through different aspects of Docker.
- Shows you how to use Docker with a local WordPress instance
- Takes you through the download and installation process
- Demonstrates getting containers to run
39. Getting Started With Docker
More experienced Linux users can get a solid introduction to using Docker to manage different aspects of cluster loads. You should already know how to work with clusters before jumping into this web tutorial from CoreOS.
- Goes through launching a container
- Takes you through working with Docker and Apache together
- Shows you how to use the Docker registry
Advanced Level Docker Tutorials
40. How To Autoscale GitLab Continuous Deployment with GitLab Runner on DigitalOcean
Docker can be a big help to those building out their own scalable GitLab instance. Use this tutorial from DigitalOcean as a guide to help you on your way. You should have experience using GitLab technology before attempting to go through this tutorial.
- You’ll need an instance of GitLab on your server
- Shows you the proper configurations needed for Docker
- Demonstrates leveraging Docker’s caching tools in your efforts
41. Deploy Docker Containers on Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS)
Learn how AWS can be used to run your Docker applications on scalable clusters from this web tutorial provided by Amazon. Getting through this tutorial requires a firm understanding of working with AWS.
- Everything required to get through this tutorial is free
- Shows you how to use the Amazon Elastic Container Registry with Docker
- Takes you from creation to deployment
42. Advanced Access Control with Docker EE
This video tutorial from Docker shares how to use different features of Docker to gain more control over cluster resources.
- Learn more about the advanced Access Control features in Docker
- Demonstrates defining roles
- Walks through examples of applying custom policies
43. Docker Advanced – SWARM – Hands-on – DevOps
Anyone looking to quickly get up to speed on Docker and learn about its more advanced features will enjoy this instructor-led Udemy course. Go from the basics to Docker stacks and servers at your own pace.
- Require a working knowledge of Docker basics
- Provides demos and coding exercises
- Goes over load balancing and the CI/CD pipeline integration
44. Docker Security Training
Learn how you can keep your Docker applications well protected by taking this live instructor-led course from Nebulaworks. This guide should be helpful to anyone tasked with any hands-on role when it comes to Docker.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of Container and Network Docker security
- Gets into role-based access control
- Goes over log streaming, metric tracking, and Docker platform auditing
45. Advanced Docker Concepts and Container Orchestration
Anyone attending the Usenix Lisa15 conference in Washington, DC this November should take advantage of this live training course. You’ll learn how to connect and deploy multiple containers on Docker hosts.
- Great for developers and system administrators
- Shows you how to find and resolve bottlenecks
- Provides you with practical tips to take back to the workplace
46. Docker Advanced
This course gives technology staff a better understanding of the entire Docker architecture. This two-day course from UMBC Training Centers takes its students well beyond the basics.
- Gain an understanding of network internals
- Understand the relationship between Docker and OCI standards
- Learn how to handle different issues that can arise during implementation
48. Tutorial: Easier Docker Management with Portainer
This web tutorial from Serverwise shows you how Portainer helps you manage your Swarm containers or Docker host. It makes keeping up with everything a much easier process.
- Shows you how to install Portainer
- Covers the basics of container management via Portainer
- Guides you through different aspects of the interface
49. Using Docker Push to Publish Images to Docker Hub
You’ll gain an understanding of how to upload the images you created in Docker to the Docker repository. It’s hailed as one of Docker’s most beneficial features.
- Walks you through the creation of a Docker Hub repository
- Shows you how to use this feature within an organization
- Demonstrates how to publish the container
50. Your First SLES Container
Learn to combine the strength of Docker with the reliability, security, and stability provided by Linux Enterprise. Doing this helps you validate other Docker hub packages received.
- Goes through setting up Docker
- Shows you how to add images
- Takes you through creating your first container
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from Blog – Threat Stack authored by Hank Schless. Read the original post at: https://www.threatstack.com/blog/50-useful-docker-tutorials-for-it-professionals-from-beginner-to-advanced