Today, user experience (UX) is considered a game-changer for every business offering online services—no wonder enterprises are putting their best foot forward to meet the expectations of their potential customers.
However, most of them aren’t aware that security is equally essential for winning consumer trust.
But incorporating various security mechanisms to authenticate users may increase customer fatigue, which results in a bad user experience.
While most established brands are adept at the art of balancing user experience with security, many budding startups and SMEs aren’t. And that’s impacting their ability to improve conversion and generate more leads. To walk this fine line, the secret ingredient is a consumer identity and access management (CIAM) solution.
With a CIAM solution, there are numerous ways to authenticate users so businesses can ensure they’re delivering up-to-snuff experiences to their potential customers without compromising security.
There are a number of advantages to incorporating a reliable authentication mechanism into your online platform.
What is Authentication?
Why is seamless authentication now crucial more than ever before? Authentication is proving one’s identity to access speciﬁc resources on a system or a device. And seamless authentication is now more crucial than ever, since users don’t want to waste time creating new accounts and proving their identity again and again when they frequently interact with a brand, either through a website or mobile app.
If the authentication mechanism isn’t offering a smooth experience from the beginning, the user will leave and your brand (and business) will suffer. Adding a robust mechanism that provides quick and easy authentication through social login processes can builds trust with users.
Frictionless and Secure Authentication UX With CIAM
A CIAM offers multiple authentication mechanisms, including social login authentication capabilities, which allows users to leverage their social media accounts to prove their identity.
On the other hand, they also need not reenter their user ids and passwords to re-authenticate since a CIAM offers single sign-on (SSO) capabilities that keep them logged in while switching applications and websites within the same network.
Additionally, consumer information security is a signiﬁcant concern for businesses, and a CIAM solution helps businesses by incorporating various security mechanisms, including:
● Multifactor authentication (MFA): MFA is an authentication mechanism that allows users to access speciﬁc resources or offers access to a platform only if the user provides two or more forms of identity verification. MFA uses various methods to authenticate a user, including one-time passwords sent on smartphones or emails.
● Risk-based authentication (RBA): RBA helps businesses apply various stringent levels of authentication in high-risk situations. RBA invokes multiple authentication layers when something suspicious is encountered and helps increase consumer and business information security. In a nutshell, RBA ensures authentication becomes more restrictive as the level of risk increases.
Other Advantages of a CIAM
When incorporating a reliable CIAM, businesses can reap endless beneﬁts. Here are some other advantages that companies can get with a CIAM authentication mechanism:
● Passwordless authentication: Gone are the days when you customers were forced to remember their passwords; passwordless login is the new normal. Passwordless login removes the need to retrieve passwords. Most users forget their passwords, and according to LoginRadius research, 85.09% of users retrieved their passwords in 2021. It costs around $70, on average, for a single password reset.
● Data governance: Businesses collecting, storing and managing crucial information about users should strictly comply with various data and privacy regulations across the globe. With a CIAM authentication mechanism, businesses can quickly comply with global data and privacy regulations, including the EU’s GDPR and California’s CCPA.
● Progressive proﬁling: With progressive proﬁling, businesses can eliminate entry barriers and enhance the consumer experience. Progressive proﬁling allows you to build rich customer proﬁles by collecting crucial information over time. This ensures that a user isn’t bombarded by massive registration forms; instead, their information is collected a little at a time as they interact with the platform.
Authentication is a crucial aspect for any business offering online services. However, what matters the most is to ensure a secure and seamless authentication process that helps scale business growth. With a CIAM authentication mechanism in place, businesses can reap numerous beneﬁts while delivering a rich consumer experience and ensuring stringent security measures.