Domain name system (DNS) services are often a point of vulnerability for businesses, so DNS security has become a growing concern for many of them.
DNS is a critical element for all companies because it turns domain names into internet protocol (IP) addresses. Cyber criminals have been digging into DNS in order to create new threats. DNS exfiltration is a typical attack that can become a terrible problem for a company; especially because these attacks (if used to encrypt traffic or use DNS tunneling), are very difficult to detect, and can permeate a network for long time, causing information theft that can compromise the company. Due to this exfiltration of data, a company can run into legal problems or acquire a bad reputation in the sector. Thus, the resulting issues can be very serious. If a DNS exfiltration or any other DNS attack is not detected properly, or at the beginning of the infection vector, consequences can be dire.
At Akamai, every day we see that companies need to focus on DNS security solutions. The solutions they are looking for must comply with several mandatory features and characteristics:
- First, the solutions must be easy to configure: the learning curve must not be steep. A critical solution like DNS protection can’t be difficult to install and to use. Many vendors create security DNS products that are difficult to install, configure and maintain. Enterprise Threat Protector (ETP) is a plug and play solution, a purely cloud security solution that does not required a lot of effort or time to know how it works.
- Secondly, a DNS solution must offer a low ratio of false positives because all internet traffic of our users flow through this. Analyzing this fact, the most intelligent approach is choosing a solution that has visibility into Internet traffic.
- Third, a DNS security solution must be continuously evolving. The ETP roadmap is evolving each month, adding improvements, new features and making our intelligence more sophisticated and better. The Akamai product team listens to customer requests carefully and refines DNS security solutions based on feedback.
- Finally, the DNS security solution must adapt to the trends of internet and APTs evolution (exfiltration of data through DNS tunneling, zero day phishing, etc.) and be valid for any scenario and for every use case. ETP includes a DNS client designed to protect offline users; it is a Zero Trust solution that provides maximum security for users to connect to the internet from everywhere and from any device.
DNS threats are increasing and advancing, so your business should have a solution with the ability to adapt and evolve at the same pace.
To learn more, tune into one of these upcoming webinars:
- How network transitioning projects benefit from Zero Trust – September 19th
- Advanced threat protection in the cloud – September 26th
For more information, please visit www.akamai.com/etp.
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from The Akamai Blog authored by Maria Ramirez. Read the original post at: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheAkamaiBlog/~3/33F2uUKl7sU/dns-protection-a-must-in-security-solutions-for-any-company.html