The imposition of the General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR (beginning May 25th, 2018) has resulted in the rising importance of hiring a data protection officer. But what is the right way to hire a data protection officer? What are the important considerations when choosing someone for this position?
First, it is important to know what a DPO really is.
What Is a Data Protection Officer (DPO)?
The GDPR is a highly complex set of requirements, and it is vital to ensure GDPR compliance. Knowledge of the implementation of data protection strategy is extremely important for this process. A Data Protection Officer is a skilled professional who can take on the responsibility of carrying on data protection activities in addition to the proper implementation of protective measures.
A DPO assumes the leading role of supervising the implementation of the data protection strategy. The major challenge is to ensure GDPR compliance by meeting all the requirements of the newly-imposed regulations.
What Are the Required Qualifications for a Data Protection Officer?
A professional Data Protection Officer must have:
- Extensive knowledge of and expertise in data protection law and practices
- Knowledge of the IT infrastructure, layout and HR system of the company
- Impressive communication skills to ensure proper dealing with the staff
- Exceptional management skills for ensuring the proper handling of the tasks at hand
- Have professional experience at managerial level in cyber security, risk compliance or IT department
What Are the Key Responsibilities of a Data Protection Officer?
When hiring a Data Protection Officer it is important to determine the role and responsibilities of the job. It helps you find the perfect fit for the post of a DPO. The following are some key responsibilities for this position:
- To determine the impact of the GDPR rules
- To ensure that the company and (Read more...)
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from InfoSec Resources authored by Mahwish Khan. Read the original post at: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/infosecResources/~3/DBdvD9XX4V8/