The Security Digest: Week 25
Hello and welcome to TSD, your weekly blog post with top of mind security issues. TSD began as an internal newsletter that our Security Lead, Daniel Tobin, would circulate to the team each Tuesday. It proved to be a great resource for all of us so we thought, why not share it with all of you? Our hope is that it helps make you just a bit more secure.
Check back here every Tuesday for more TSD or sign up below to stay in the loop!
Please reach out to us directly, via [email protected] or on Twitter at @dant24 if you have any questions, concerns, tips or anything else!
- Vice has a new story about a firm that buys location data from phone apps including a beauty app, an mp3 file converter and an app designed to prevent people from making drunk phone calls.
- According to Ars Technica, a vulnerability in the WordPress plugin File Manger has the potential to affect over 350,000 sites. Various companies are reporting it being actively exploited to upload malware and webshells. If you’re running WordPress, be sure to update to the latest version and check all of your plugins for updates.
- Vice talked to researchers from the Annenberg School at USC about a study recently published that shows network shutdowns in various countries in Africa don’t actually help the regimes that implement them.
- Have your kids figured out the “AI” grading their tests? The Verge has a story about some that have. story ai tests learning education.
- It’s Patch Tuesday, did you update? More info at KrebsOnSecurity.
Owl fun and facts:
This is a Black Barn Owl or a Melanistic Barn Owl. This is the opposite of an albino owl. This is from a rare genetic mutation, and they can typically only survive in captivity.
A Shout Out:
Ian Coldwater and Brad Geesaman break your K8s again at the latest CNCF conference. Watch their video on how they did it on YouTube.
That’s owl for now!
The post The Security Digest: Week 25 appeared first on Cyral.
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from Blog – Cyral authored by Daniel Tobin. Read the original post at: https://cyral.com/blog/tsd-25-weekly-security-digest/