Below you will find the most recent trends we are seeing the market worldwide. You can also check out the highlights from previous reports below.
Highlights for 2019
Key takeaways from Avast PC Trends Report 2019
- The average PC is 6 years old
- The top 5 apps installed are: #1 Google Chrome, #2 Adobe Acrobat, #3 WinRAR, #4 Microsoft Office, and #5 Mozilla Firefox
- More than half (55%) of all software is outdated
- 40% of users run Windows 10
- 67% of PCs are laptops or tablets
Not surprisingly, the PC landscape has changed between Q3 2017 (our first report) and our latest 2019 report. Here are the most significant developments over time:
- Most installed programs: Google Chrome rose from 79% usage to over 91% in just over a year. WinRAR (35%) and TeamViewer (16%) have also upped their install share, going to 48% and 18% respectively.
- Out-of-date programs: In late 2017, 48% of all installed applications were outdated. By end of 2018, this number increased to 55%.
- Global Windows usage: Windows 10 rose from 35% to 40% in a year, while Windows 7 shrunk from 45% to 43%. But more importantly, Windows XP usage dropped from almost 5% to 3% – the aging OS is dying!
- Average age of PCs: The PC is getting older – while it used to be 5 ½ years old on average in 2017, a bit over a year later that number went up to 6 years.
- Laptops are taking over in 2020: While we’re already at 67% usage, this will likely climb to 75% in the next year.
- Windows 7 is about to be end-of-lifed in January 2020, which is why we expect a drastic uptick in Windows 10 usage throughout the year 2019.
- Quad-Core CPUs will start to become more and more mainstream as newer PCs are being sold and older ones replaced. We should also see an increase in laptops and PCs with 8 GB of RAM and more.
Avast PC Trends Report 2017
Avast PC Trends Report 2019
Get your PCs updated and maintained in no time: Avast Cleanup Premium https://www.avast.com/en-us/cleanup.
Secure your computer with Avast Free AV: https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download
5 software facts you didn’t know: Avast PC Report (Part 1): https://blog.avast.com/pc-report-2019-shows-users-fail-to-update-avast
5 hardware facts you didn’t know — The Avast PC Report, part 2: https://blog.avast.com/pc-report-2019-reveals-hardware-trends