Locked down and socially distancing like the rest of us, John Opdenakker took to Twitter to ask the question, “What’s your best #infosec quote?” As you’ll see, this has sparked an interesting discussion with over 189 comments, part serious and part humorous, giving us a much-needed distraction while reinforcing the importance of InfoSec in our highly connected and cyber-insecure world.
- “As John Chambers famously said, ‘There are only two types of organizations: Those that have been hacked and those that don’t know it yet!’”
- “It’s not a question of if, but when.”
- “Security isn’t something you buy, it’s something you do, and it takes talented people to do it right.”
- “If it’s smart, it’s vulnerable.”
- “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and few minutes of cyber incident to ruin it.”
- “Security should be built in, not bolt-on.”
- “If you can’t afford security, you can’t afford a breach.”
- “People, the weakest link.”
- “We shouldn’t worry about getting hacked, that’s illegal.”
- “It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.”
- “Never underestimate a developer with a deadline.”
- “Don’t put a $100 lock on a glass door.”
- “The most secure computer is the computer that’s off.”
- “It’s worse than you think.”
- “Don’t pet strange dogs.” In other words, if it doesn’t feel right, don’t click on it.
- “Given the choice between dancing pigs and security, users will pick dancing pigs every time.”
- “Infosec: The Few. The Proud. The Paranoid.
- “Give a man an 0day and he’ll have access for a day, teach a man to phish and he’ll have access for life.”
And perhaps Mike Thompson @AppSecBloke gets the last word (just as timely as when it was first posted almost 10 years ago):
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from Blog – Balbix authored by Ruchika Mishra. Read the original post at: https://blogs.balbix.com/from-the-horses-mouth-cybersecurity-pros-favorite-infosec-quotes