The public cloud market is blowing up. Many IT admins are realizing they don’t have the same visibility into their infrastructure that they once did. The worldwide public cloud services market is projected to grow 18 percent in 2017 to total $248.6 billion according to Gartner. 74% of Chief Financial Officers (CFOs) say cloud computing will have the most measurable impact on their business in 2017.
Enterprises are transitioning to cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Once in the cloud IT teams are realizing they have a lack of visibility of their applications and workload performance. Employing cloud visibility tools can shed light into these dark corners of the cloud. IT administrators need performance management and monitoring solutions that can see the entire infrastructure, cloud based and premise based.
Some performance monitoring systems evaluate performance by placing agents, in different locations on the network to report back to a central monitoring server (push). Other systems pull information from system components such as logs, API calls, and polling.
Our solution delivers unprecedented visibility into everything that’s running in the cloud, in one place, capturing much of the basic data you need for operations and compliance. Here’s how it works:
- Discover: We can automatically find all cloud infrastructure (workloads, VMs, and containers), removing the need to manually identify these at any point of time. If your cloud infrastructure is like most, it has hundreds of VMs that change all the time. This can save time and keep monitoring accurate.
- Categorize: A cloud infrastructure can have hundreds of workloads and cloud infrastructure devices performing exactly the same task. Load balancers, for example, send tasks to multiple identical servers to reduce latency and enhance the user experience. By aggregating similar entities into categories, an organization can get a better view of how the infrastructure is really configured and behaving.
- Characterize: CCSI provides complete visibility into how entities interact and behave. This lets you rapidly identify otherwise hidden dependencies and validate whether they are authorized.
- Baseline: CCSI analyzes entities and their behaviors to build a logical baseline for your cloud environment. This reference point reveals the normal activity in your cloud.
- Changes: CCSI flags any deviation from the baseline, making it easier and faster to detect anomalous behaviors that could jeopardize compliance.
Author Bio: Joe Goldberg is the Senior Cloud Program manager at CCSI. Over the past 15+ years, Joe has helped companies to design, build out, and optimize their network and data center infrastructure. As a result of his efforts, major gains in ROI have been realized through virtualization, WAN implementation, core network redesigns, and the adoption of cloud services. Joe is also ITIL certified.
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog from CCSI authored by Joe Goldberg. Read the original post at: https://www.ccsinet.com/blog/increase-visibility-cloud/